Consolation meals at its best, this conventional Somali dish comes collectively shortly, but tastes of all-day cooking with its complicated flavors. Hen gives protein and satiety, whereas coconut milk acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antimicrobial ingredient, additionally supporting cardiovascular well being and supplying useful medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which increase mind well being and decrease dangerous ldl cholesterol. Whereas historically served over rice, right here we’ve swapped in low-glycemic quinoa, which has a scrumptious nutty taste that pairs deliciously with this dish. For a very genuine Somali expertise, serve this with a banana to eat bite-for-bite alongside the stew.
Whole Time: half-hour
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 crimson bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup plain coconut yogurt (or use plain common yogurt if most popular)
- 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- ¼ teaspoon floor cardamom
- 1 teaspoon floor turmeric
- ¼ cup further virgin olive oil
- 1 crimson onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 candy potato, lower into bite-sized items
- 1 pound boneless, skinless rooster thighs, lower into bite-sized items
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to style
- Cooked quinoa, chopped cilantro and bananas, to serve
- In a blender, mix the tomatoes, jalapeno, bell pepper, tomato paste, coconut yogurt and spices, together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix till utterly easy.
- In a big skillet, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth, add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes till softened and golden.
- Add the candy potato, rooster thighs, coconut milk and the blender sauce. Stir effectively to mix, and convey as much as a simmer.
- Cowl and prepare dinner over low warmth for 30-40 minutes, till the rooster is cooked by way of and the candy potato is tender. Test the seasoning, including extra salt and pepper if wanted.
- Serve over the cooked quinoa, sprinkled with the cilantro, with bananas alongside.